Over the last couple of months I have made play suits and dresses for Robyn. This has left me with odd shaped pieces of fabric which I am loath to throw away. I had also just finished a can of coffee and again I was not inclined to put it in the recycling bin. I think the two events merged in my mind overnight and this is the result.
A storage container or vase.
Hand Stitched Container cover
Machine Stitched Container Cover
I made a hand stitched version and a machine stitched one to compare. They each have a very different look. The hand stitched one is more circular and feels softer, but does take slightly longer to make. The machine stitched version has external seams and is more ridged, but both need the coffee container if they are going to be used as a scissor caddy. I have also added wadding at the bottom of the can so that my scissors don’t rattle around.
I was given some lovely yellow dahlias tonight at the allotment and they look beautiful in my new vase. I am very pleased that I made two versions.
I seem to have spent the best part of the last couple of weeks at my computer. Updating information and getting the new website up and running. None of this time has been wasted but I have missed being in the studio and doing what I like best. Cutting up fabric and piecing it back together again. Today I am making sure that I get some quality sewing time. Now I just need to decide which of the many outstanding projects I tackle first.
First job: Tackle the replacement strap slider on my suitcase strap. This was broken last year and has been waiting for my attention. I always put it off as it it a tricky sewing job. And so it proved. Change thread, Start sewing – break needle. Change needle and foot – job completed.
Job 2. Another Block swap block. It will be soon time for our next zoom meeting and I haven’t done any more of the blocks for the group swap. Time to get started again, I have chosen some bright batik fabric for this one. The center of the block is foundation pieced and then the bears paw border is added to complete my ‘Twisting Bears” block just in time for lunch.
A quick break to tidy up the poly tunnel on my allotment, and collect some vegetables for dinner. I found that one of the courgettes has become a monster and the sweetcorn needed to be harvested.
Back to the studio now and time to get on with dress for Robyn, The blue printed fabric was a great hit for the play suit and there is enough to make a dress for her. A couple of hours cutting out and sewing and the bodice is finished. It won’t take me long tomorrow to complete.
Final job of the day is to deal with all the sweetcorn and freeze it. Not my favourite jobs it is so time consuming but if we want to preserve the crop it is necessary.
All done and we have a huge bowl full of corn kernels. I have to report that the melon was delicious too.
I feel that, today, I have got the balance right, with time in my studio and time at the allotment. Keeping a diary of the day has helped me stay on track and get things done.
My Modern And Art Quilting group have not been able to meet as usual over the last few months. Consequently this course is on hold. To keep in touch we have been holding regular zoom meetings and this led to a request for a project. We decided on a Block Swap with a difference. We chose a traditional patchwork block – Bears Paw, and the challenge is to merge it with another traditional block to create a brand new one.
The blocks need to measure 12½” to give a finished size of 12″. We have each chosen a colour scheme which we would like our own finished block swap quilt to be, but the choice of shades and fabrics is upto each member of the swap.
I played around with monkey wrench ( also called snail trail ) and with a pineapple style log cabin. I have designed two new blocks ” Twisting Bears” and “Tropical Bears”
Starting with the Twisting Bears pattern I have been exploring colour placement in some of the members chosen colour schemes.
It is interesting to see how different the same block can look depending on the placement and shade of the fabric used. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the swap blocks look as the colour schemes are very different. I have asked for a blue and white colour scheme as I was thinking of my favourite willow pattern plates at the time.
Welcome to my new website. The last few months have been interesting to say the least, and I have missed being able to teach at my local patchwork and quilting shops. However we have had a wonderful addition to the family. Our first granddaughter was born in April and I have been keeping busy making playsuits for her. I have also learned how to make popper strips which I am sure will be very useful on lots of things. This pattern is from New Look and is quite easy to follow. I have had to adapt it slightly as Robyn is quite long in the body, the first playsuit has already had to have an alteration.
During the lockdown I have been able to keep in touch with my students through one on one video classes and small group sessions and am now in a position to extend these classes. On this new website you will find links to my patterns, be able to book one on one classes and online small group classes, subscription video content as well as access to free video content. I still have quite a lot to add to the site and have many more ideas so watch this space.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for taking time to look at my new site.